Child Care Financial Assistance

The Child Care Financial Assistance Program assists families with their child care costs. To be eligible, a family must have a service need and meet income guidelines. A service need is defined as employment, work search, training or education, and incapacity. Family Support child care is also available for families who are experiencing significant stress. This service requires an additional application. A subsidy specialist is available to help families with their paperwork and answer
any questions they may have.

Apply online click here for online financial assistance application form.

Eligibility Information


In order to be eligible for child care subsidy a family must have a reason (service need) for child care and have income within the establish guidelines. Acceptable service needs include:

  • Employment: Employment is any activity for which a parent receives compensation of at least minimum wage. Volunteer Work is excluded.
  • Self-Employment :Self-Employment is any business activity approved that nets a monthly income of at least $100.
  • Training: Training is any activity this is likely to lead to employment within one year of completion.
  • Education: Education is any coursework such as GED, high school, or college. Post-Baccalaureate education is not an eligible activity.
  • Seeking Employment Seeking employment is any activity recognized as necessary to obtain employment. Individuals may be eligible for up to 30 days per year
  • Family Support. Family Support Child Care is designed to reduce stress for families and their children and promote positive child development. The child care subsidy may be authorized after a confidential application and risk assessment have been completed and reviewed.
  • Special Health Need/Child: Verified written report of a licensed physician or licensed psychologist, or a determination made by the Department of Education, Division of Special Education, that a child is entitled to services under the Child Care Subsidy Program.
  • Special Health Need/Parent: When a primary caretaker (parent) has been considered incapacitated because of a physical and /or emotional condition precludes her/him from reasonable employment or training opportunities.

For more information contact Child Care Financial Assistance at 802-773-4365 or email the following staff:

Ann Hughes

Courtney Mason

Marcy Fenton

Vermont Achievement Center | 88 Park Street, Rutland, VT 05701 | ©2010 Vermont Achievement Center All Rights Reserved